For a MS Word downloadable version of this form, click
here. For a text version,
click here. (Right-click and "save as..." if you have problems saving to your
Border Collie Rescue, Inc.
Border Collie Rescue is a not-for-profit group comprised of volunteers who give of their time, ability and their homes to help place Border Collies where they will be well cared for and loved. Our primary goals are to protect the Border Collies already here, strive to prevent the over- breeding of Border Collies or the breeding of poor quality individuals, and owner education of any Border Collie owner who requests help.
Fundamentally, BCR is a response to Border Collies that are abandoned, lost or mistreated and need a caring home. We also help, in extreme emergencies, those who have to give up their dogs. We feel that the responsibility for caring for lost, neglected and abused Border Collies must rest with those who know and love the breed. The individuals who comprise BCR are current or former breeders, exhibitors or aficionados who have many years of experience with the breed and understand the needs of the dogs. What better reward could there be than knowing that dozens of Border Collies which otherwise might have been put to sleep, left out to starve or to run loose in the streets to be crippled or killed in traffic, are instead in loving and caring homes.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
1. FEES: The only fee involved is to cover our expenses. A minimum of $150.00 is required when you adopt a Border Collie. Some of these dogs require extra medical care or special rehabilitation which will entail much greater expense; we do not require, but would appreciate an extra donation to help cover these extra expenses. If the dog must be shipped in, those costs are added to the fee.
2. SPAYING/NEUTERING: Any dog adopted from BCR will have been spayed or neutered. Rescue Border Collies are generally not suitable for breeding. Rescue Border Collies make marvelous friends, and placing them in a devoted supportive environment is the only goal we will pursue. If you would like to acquire a Border Collie with the idea of producing puppies, we would be happy to refer you to one of our list of breeders who conducts genetic screening. Breeding Border Collies is a time-consuming and expensive endeavor, and one which should not be attempted without knowledge and understanding of this breed and of the many facets of breeding and nurturing puppies.
3. CONTRACTS: All adopters of rescued Border Collies will be asked to sign an Adoption Agreement. This contract is legal and binding. Please read it carefully.
4. MISCELLANEOUS: We recommend you follow a regular inoculation program established by your veterinarian to guarantee your dogs stays healthy. You will receive a complete medical history on your Border Collie (as best as can be determined or documented). You must also have the dog licensed in accordance with the laws where you live. Since we do not know you personally, the information from the Adoption Request Questionnaire (which is requested of anyone seeking a rescue Border Collie) will help us to match the right kind of Border Collie for your circumstances. We place Border Collies only in good, loving homes, and we screen prospective adopters thoroughly.
Keep this cover information and the "Terms of Adoption" page for your reference. Please fill out the attached form and return it to us as soon as possible.
Border Collie Rescue
16051 E FM 1097
Willis, TX 77378-4077
BORDER COLLIE RESCUE
1. Why do you want a Border Collie?
2. Have you ever owned a Border Collie before?________________
Do you still have that dog? ________________
3. What happened to your last dog? ________________
4. During the last two years:
a. Have you lost a pet (not through death)? ________________
b. Have you had a pet poisoned? ________________
c. Have you had an animal killed by a vehicle? ________________
d. Would you allow a dog to ride loose in the bed of a truck? ________________
e. Have you had an animal die due to disease? ________________
5. For what purpose do you want this dog?
6. Do you have any other animals? ________List type, age and sex:
7. Do you have children at home? ________ Number________ Age(s) ________
8. Do you live in a house? _______ Apartment? _______ Condo? ______ Trailer? _______
9. Do you rent or own? ________
10. If you rent, do you have the landlord's permission to keep a dog? ________
11. Do you have a yard? ________ Is it fenced? ________
What type of fencing? ________________________________
12. Do all family adults work? ________ Is someone home during the day? ________
13. What provisions will be made for your Border Collie if no one is at home during the day?
14. Do you intend to keep this dog primarily indoors or outdoors? ________________
Where will it sleep?
15. Do you have a sex preference? No: ________ Male: ________Female: ________
16. Do you have a color preference? No: ________Color: ________________
17. Would you consider: The opposite sex? ________
An older dog? ________ To What Age? ________
18. What size Border Collie do you prefer?
19. Are other members of your household aware that you are considering adopting a pet?
20. Are you prepared to assume the financial responsibilities of caring for an animal,
including inoculations, veterinarian care, good quality food, licensing, etc.?
21. Are you planning to move in the near future? ________
22. Is anyone in your house allergic to animals? ________
23. Are you familiar with the animal regulations in your area? ________
24. Is the Border Collie going to be a gift? ________ For Whom? ________
Do they know they are getting the gift? ________________
25. Do you understand that any rescue Border Collie that you may adopt through Border Collie Rescue will be spayed/neutered? ________
26. What circumstances, in your mind, justify getting rid of a dog?
27. Are you willing to allow a Rescue Representative member to visit your home by
28. How did you hear about Border Collie Rescue?
29. Do you accept that there will be minimally a $150 fee plus expenses for the adopted dog?
I am in full agreement with the Border Collie Rescue Terms of Adoption (attached). By signing below I am attesting to the truthfulness of my answers. I understand that falsification of any of the above information will be grounds to disallow the adoption of a rescue Border Collie.
NOTE: If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must also sign this application. Thank you for considering a dog from Border Collie Rescue. If you have any questions, or if we can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call.
We reserve the right to refuse any applicant.
Please return to:
Border Collie Rescue
16051 E FM 1097
Willis, TX 77378-4077
Border Collie Rescue Official Use Only