Dyersburg, TN: Female BC in shelter

This forum is for dogs that have been removed from shelters and taken into rescue.

Dyersburg, TN: Female BC in shelter

New postby ArkieBCs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:50 am

This sweet girl was posted on petfinder. It says on the petfinder site that the shelter is always at capacity and the dogs have limited time. :( She looks like a really sweet girl and looks as though she recently had puppies. Here's her petfinder listing...

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=15484769

Dyersburg-Dyer County Humane Society
Dyersburg, TN
(731) 285-4889

I don't know how to attach her pictures to this message but, they are on her petfinder listing.
Take care,

Rachel and Zach
ArkieBCs

Re: Dyersburg, TN: Female BC in shelter

New postby cybertoothtiger on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:35 am

Image Image Image
cybertoothtiger
Long-time Member

New postby hippiedoglover on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 am

She's beautiful. I can't call right now from work to find out her status and figure out if anyone is working on her so I emailed them quickly. Just got this response back which isn't helpful, but if someone has the time to call this am and figure out what's going on with this lil lady, that'd be great (and find out if she's ok with other dogs). She just had pups. Sad if she loses her pups and her life too. :(

Here's the info for contacting the shelter:

Hello, and thank you for your inquiry about Panda. Please call the shelter office asap about Panda. As of this morning, I do not know what her status is. I am off site and direct inquiries from Petfinder.com. The shelter office is open at this time and telephone number is 731-285-4889. If the number is busy, please keep trying, as we receive a high volume of calls. The shelter receives a high volume of pets weekly (100 per week) and stays at capacity.. Time is of the essence.

Thank you for caring.

DDC Humane Society

I can try the shelter later on during a break if no one can call in the meantime...
hippiedoglover
Long-time Member

New postby Karoline on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

I spoke to the shelter...

She was actually an owner surrender.... so she could be PTS TODAY.

Here's the story the shelter worked gave me:
Post having puppies she has had a major behavior change. She had previously been housetrained, but began "wetting" after the puppies were weaned. She growls a lot. At the shelter she growls when anyone walks by even when they try to feed her.

Does anyone understand this? Could it just be because of the puppies? Has anyone worked with this?

Anyway, they also think she could be a pure-bred.

I have no experience here, just relaying....
Karoline
Long-time Member

New postby kgunther on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 am

I don't have any experience with this. But I do think it is very natural for mother dogs to become very protective (and not just of the puppies). I also wanted to point out that she doesn't look like she is growling at anyone in the pictures. I worry sometimes about believing anything that shelter workers tell us. Some workers are great. But some really don't care and don't take the time to get to know the dogs at all. And, as we all know, a dog's behavior in a shelter environment is not necessarily indicative of how he or she will behave once removed from that environment.

I would just hate for people to read that description and not even try to help her because they think she is difficult.

It would be great if someone we trust could evaluate her. I will check with West TN BC Rescue to see if they have anyone near there who might have time. I am sure they don't have room for her but maybe they could get information for someone else who might be able to take her. (Assuming there is time).

Kristy
kgunther
Long-time Member

New postby hippiedoglover on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

I heard back from Nina at the shelter and she really does like this girl and very much wants help in finding her a safe place. She's hoping someone will be able to get her out of there and help the girl get over whatever she's going through. I totally agree with Kristy. Thanks K for offering to contact West TN BC Rescue-hopefully they can be of some assistance. From the pictures, I see a worried lil dog that is seeking comfort from a stranger. Imagine how much better she'd feel if she were in a home environment and get to know and trust her caretaker. I can only imagine if her owners dumped her in a kill shelter because she's out of sorts after birthing and weeing in the house, she wasn't being tended to properly. A caring owner would have tried to sort out the issues (but that's just my opinion).
hippiedoglover
Long-time Member

New postby Karoline on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am

I totally agree with Kristy. Having babies is a BIG DEAL. And what kindof owner would dump a momma dog so soon after puppies? I think this girl had a LOUSY owner.

Wouldn't a GOOD mamma wonder where her puppies went and be protective?

I hope someone close enough can meet her and try to give her a chance...

BTW, I does anyone see any puppies on that website for that shelter? Wonder what this great owner did with them...
Karoline
Long-time Member

New postby lfbaragona on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am

I wonder if she has been vetted since coming into the shelter. A UTI could possibly cause the urination issues and make her feel out of sorts.

Lee Baragona
lfbaragona
Long-time Member

New postby Wendy M on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Excellent thought about the UTI...that can definitely result in discomfort and behavior changes. Actually when I first read this thread, I was wondering if it might be something medical, as well.

-Wendy M.
Wendy M
Long-time Member

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Did she have her puppies AT the shelter? From the comment that she started "wetting" after her puppies were weaned it makes it sound like they were weaned at the shelter. Are they even sure she's actually urinating? She looks awfully bagged up still and could just be leaking.
RuffMuttK9z

New postby hippiedoglover on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:20 pm

I just emailed Nina at the shelter to find out about her puppy situation and get a lil more info on her temperament around other dogs.
hippiedoglover
Long-time Member

New postby Karoline on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 pm

The woman I spoke with this morning said she had her puppies at home with her previous owners. After having them she began wetting around the house, despite being perfectly housetrained pre-puppies.

Her owners turned her into the shelter AFTER puppies.

I agree she looks pretty swollen so I am thinking to myself-- how long "after" puppies did they turn her in?

She arrived at the shelter on the 7th.
Karoline
Long-time Member

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that pregnancy/whelping can cause lots of odd behaviors in dogs. I once had a dog that would pee and poop in her crate whenever she was in heat but never do so at any other time.
RuffMuttK9z

New postby hippiedoglover on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Despite working on her all day, I'm not getting anywhere. :(
Hopefully when folks get home from work tonight, they'll have a chance to take a look at her situation and a plan can be formulated to help her.
Definitely a visit from BC rescue would be helpful.
hippiedoglover
Long-time Member

New postby etaylor on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 pm

West TN Border Collie Rescue has commited to take her. Working out the details. Of interest when I called the woman I talked with went back to where she is - no growling and she wagged her tail.

etaylor
etaylor
Long-time Member

Next

Return to Transferred to Rescue