cryptorchidism

Discussion on health-related topics of your dog. Health Problems FAQ. Veterinary Issues FAQ. General Health Concerns FAQ.

cryptorchidism

New postby bonnie&luna on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm

I am looking at adopting a border collie mix. He is four months old and not neutered yet. When I went to visit him I noticed that his testicles have not dropped. I looked around online and it seems to be the conscious that they should have dropped around 7 weeks.? Should I be concerned about possible future health problems, or does neutering take away those possibilities of developing cancer associated with cryptorchidism? I would appreciate any advise! I want to give this pup a home, but I'm not sure I can afford to take home a pup that will have health problems right off the back. Thanks!
bonnie&luna

Re: cryptorchidism

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Neuter him ASAP and you will be just fine. As you mentioned, retained testicles have a high likelihood of becoming cancerous but as long as you neuter young you won't ever have to deal with that. Testicles that aren't there can't become cancerous. I have a 6 month old who is a bilateral cryptorchid (both testicles retained) and he is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow.
RuffMuttK9z

New postby BayouBCR on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 am

You don't even have to run out and neuter him right away. Neutering him at the "normal" time at around 6 months of age is perfectly acceptable and safe.

Occasionally you will have a puppy whose testicles will drop later than expected. My oldest only had one that had dropped when he was about 3.5 months, but the other was there by neutering time. You might also really check to make sure they haven't dropped. At that age, the testicles are REALLY small, so they're not obvious unless you feel for them.

Yeah...never thought I'd type "testicles" so many times in one post.
Courtney & The Nomads:
Dogs: Reece, Pith, Kodah, Duma, Meesh, Jakey, & Pax
The Herd O' Cats
In Memory: Vin, Buck, Goo, Ezra, Orion, Dante, Demus, Pacce, Imp, Tweed
BayouBCR
Long-time Member

New postby bonnie&luna on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advise! I feel a lot better now. I do have another question. I have notice different opinions on when is the best time to neuter a pup. The organization I am going through to adopt wants to neuter before I get him, but most of the vets in the area won't do it because he is only 4 months old. However, the lady said that they might have someone that will do it now at 4 months. Is it better to wait till 6 months and if so is it appropriate for me to ask them not to neuter him right now, that I will bring him back in 2 months.
bonnie&luna

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 pm

It is perfectly safe to neuter him now at 4 months old and if the rescue is covering the cost of it, I'd say let them do it.
RuffMuttK9z

New postby Jenn on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:22 pm

My only recommendation is to perhaps hold off a few more months to see if the testicles will drop on their own. The surgery is much less invasive to the pup and it does no harm to wait a little longer, especially if this is acceptable with the adopting organization. While there are generally there are no complications neutering a dog that is cryptorchid, it can happen. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. I just don't see it being worth the risk if you can avoid it.

Jenn
Jenn

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:15 pm

I personally hope the rescue will go on and insist it's done before you adopt. Just my perspective having dog rescue for quite a while now. The chance of testicles dropping after 4 months old is slim to none anyway, especially if they're both retained, which it sounds like they are in this case.
RuffMuttK9z

New postby Jenn on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for you post Debbie. It reminded me that I meant to also state that the OP should check with a trusted veterinarian to obtain their opinion. Those of us here we can only offer advice based on our experiences. A veterinarian is the most qualified to give you the advice you really need. Of course this all depends on the rescue and their spay/neuter requirements.
Jenn

New postby BayouBCR on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 pm

If the rescue's okay with you waiting until 6 months, I would wait. I don't have any issue with neutering early in normal cases. Two of mine were neutered at 4 months, and there weren't any problems, drawbacks, or resulting problems. However, with a cryptorchid, you're looking at a surgery more like a spay than a neuter, and sometimes the vet has to really go looking for the testicles. Just because they haven't dropped, doesn't mean they're not somewhere in between, so the vet has to go hunting. So long as you're seriously committed to making sure he's neutered on time and it's okay with the rescue (I'm assuming they'll make sure you get it done), there's no reason to rush.

Like Jenn said though, a vet is always going to be the best source of advice on medical issues.
Courtney & The Nomads:
Dogs: Reece, Pith, Kodah, Duma, Meesh, Jakey, & Pax
The Herd O' Cats
In Memory: Vin, Buck, Goo, Ezra, Orion, Dante, Demus, Pacce, Imp, Tweed
BayouBCR
Long-time Member

New postby bonnie&luna on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:54 am

Thank you for all your advise! I did consult with my vet, and she said that it would be fine to wait. The agency let me finish he adoption, and I brought home my new little boy, Sol, this past Sat. I am bringing him back to the organization for his last set of shots and to be neutered. Thanks again for all your advise.
Cheers,
Bonnie
Attachments
SN853838.JPG
Sol and Luna (Sun and Moon)
Buster.jpg
Sol
bonnie&luna

New postby RuffMuttK9z on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 am

Sol is very cute! He doesn't look 4 months old to me, though, so probably best you waited a bit longer for the neuter. Have fun with him!
RuffMuttK9z

New postby CollieCallix on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Do they have a cure for cryptorchidism? Can they do something with the hormones responsible for it?
Money will buy a fine Border Collie dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
CollieCallix

Return to Health Issues