I called on this little family today to find out their status. The person in charge wasn't there (Ruth) but the man I talked to was very nice. He said the tan dog in the picture is the mom and there are three pups that he figures are around 10-12 weeks old. He wasn't absolutely sure, but he thinks for 501c3 rescues there is no pull fee.
He said they had been there probably 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. They get a 5 in 1 shot upon arrival along with a bordatella and are also wormed. He said he has only had one call that he knows of and that was someone interested in just one of the pups.
He told me it would be best to talk directly to Ruth and that I should call back tomorrow (9/23). I asked if they were in immediate danger and he said they like to give the puppies as much time as possible, but it all depends space as they are always full.
North Star doesn't have a spot for them at this time, but I just wanted to get the information out there in case anyone else could help them.
The listing now shows "On Hold" which I am HOPING means they are holding them for rescue and not that they are sick. I tried to get through to Ruth yesterday but could not. I have emailed to see if I can find anything out.
Bad news.....I received an email from Ruth saying that a rescue was going to take the mom and pups (that is why they were on hold) but mom tested positive for heartworm and so now they won't take them. I received a different email from another volunteer and she said one of the pups was adopted.
I have emailed again asking if this puts mom in danger and if so, how much time she has. Dang it...this really sucks!
That really stinks. Those pups look old enough to be away from their mother. I know it's ideal to be able to take the whole family, but It would have been good to at least take the puppies out so they don't get sick. The mom is the prettiest wee girl. Doesn't look much bigger than her puppies. Sigh..
Thanks for checking on them Toni.
Georgia, Jedi, Cadi, and Cody "Saving one dog will not change the world...but surely, the world will be changed for that one dog."
Ruth did not say the severity of her HW, but I called my vet's office today to find out if they even HAD any of the HW treatment medicine and they don't.
My vet was out on farm calls all day and so I did not get a chance to talk to him directly to see what could be done for a HW+ dog - but hopefully I will find something out Tuesday. When I emailed Ruth to find out how much time she might have, I did not get a specific date or number of days. She just said she IS in danger because no one seems to have the meds to treat her HW. My guess would be she would likely be first to be put down when they get over full.
I'll give you a call Tuesday Kent, to see if we can put our two heads together and come up with an idea.
I noticed her listing on PF shows her as adoptable again.
FYI, Sally Hull of Hull's Haven BCR asked me to share this information. She has been trying to contact both the shelter and Toni to talk directly about this family but has apparently been having some problems with her phone. So she asked me to post the info here where Toni will see it.
I need to know if she can treat the mom, as I have someone wanting to take her into foster for treatment in St Louis, and will hold her and the pups until it is done.
Happy to hear the whole crew has a rescue commitment, wherever it is and however it worked out!
Angie and Spirit (8, BC/pyr) & Huckleberry (8, beagle) William (1993-2006), Kate (1995-2008), Johnson (1998?-2011), Odysseus (1996-2012), & Mildred (2002?-2012)
I had a nice talk with Ruth at the shelter today (VERY nice woman) and told her North Star would commit to taking mom and the two remaining puppies. But then Sally Hull called me just a little while ago and told me that she has someone in St. Louis, MO that can pull this little family and keep them while mom goes through the heartworm treatment since they DO have the Immiticide.
So North Star will happily be letting mom and pups go where they can get the most help. I want to give a HUGE thank you to Sally Hull for enabling mom to get the treatment she needs....and I know they will find the best possible homes for all three.
Ha...ha....yes you are right Kent. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to break the news to my husband about three more dogs coming to our house after three just recently left - but not only did this little family go to a great rescue, but it probably helped my marriage too.
However, I do have to say that "running" with you means there is never a dull moment in my life anymore!