I received a cross-posting today from someone who lost her dog recently due to suffocation. The death occurred not from the grocery store and trash bags that pet owners would probably already be aware of as a safety issue, but from the plastic inner-liners of snacks like Cheezits, cookies and chips. It appears to be fairly common for dogs to stick their heads into the box, eat all the snacks and then from breathing in the air inside, collapse the bag around their heads. It is just another reason to be diligent about closing cabinets and confining our pets to a safe area in the house.
Virginia BC Tom RIP/1988 Tuck, ( 6 yrs) rescued BC Tess, (12+yrs), my "granddog!" Tasha, (12 yrs.), BC PNP Alum Timber, 4 yrs, PRBCR alum, Foster Failure #2 My fosters--always in my heart! http://www.arfofwaynecounty.org
I keep my cookies and stuff locked up so Sophie can't eat them and get sick. But I never would have thought of suffocation from the bags. It makes sense though. Most dogs are going to sniff a grocery bag and go on about their business, whereas they're going to bury their heads in a food liner bag to get every last crumb. Thanks for the warning!